Workshop-Magnetism and Life ( 15th to 17th May 2019 )
Welcome to the second workshop ' Magnetism and Life , 15th - 17th May 2019' which will be held at the faculty of Physics, Mathematics and Optometry- University of Latvia. As a part of MAMI innovative training Network (ITN) program, this workshop shall provide training in the field of magnetism as applied to life sciences, delivered by worlds leading researchers in this topic.
The workshop will be conducted at the University of Latvia house of science - Jelgavas iela 3 - Zemgales priekšpilsēta, Rīga, LV-1004. Location on map as shown below.
University of Latvia, located in Riga, Latvia, is the largest higher education and research institution in Latvia. It has more than 14’000 students and more than 1100 academics. Department of Physics is a part of the Faculty of Physics, Mathematics and Optometry and offers study programs in Physics at all levels - bachelor, master and doctoral (in total ~160 students). It has a strong research tradition (~50 researchers). In total, more than 300 researchers at the University of Latvia are connected to Physics. They work in the Department and 5 research institutes (Institute of Solid State Physics, Institute of Physics, Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy, Institute of Chemical Physics, Institute of Astronomy). Hence, it is possible to access a large variety of research equipment and experts, which creates a great environment for professional development.
Science house of the Tornakalns Campus
How To Get Here?
To get from the airport to the city center, you have three options,
1. Take a taxi. Price varies between EUR 10 and EUR 15 ( Baltic Taxi or Red Cab). Most taxis accept credit cards, but if you do not have any cash with you, ask before you embark.
2. Take Public Bus No. 22, which has direct services from the airport to the city center.
- Frequency 10-30 minutes, it will take you around 30 minutes to get to the city center.
- A one-day ticket is valid for an unlimited number of journeys within 24 hours from the time of its first registration; it costs EUR 5. Alternatively, you can also buy a single ride ticket from the bus driver and it costs EUR 2.
3. Take the Airport Express minibus. The price for a ride is EUR 5. Payments are accepted in cash or by a payment card.
Below list of recommended hotels located in the old town ( Vecrīga ). To get from the old town to the Science House will take approximately 20 min walking crossing the Daugava river. Alternatively , its 5 minutes by public transport ( Bus No : 3,4,7,8,9,21 and 22 ) or ( Tram No: 1, 2 and 5 ) to Nacionālā bibliotēka Stop. More information about Riga public transport can be obtained from here.
- Hotel Monte Kristo - Kalēju iela 56, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050.
- Konventa Sēta Hotel - Kalēju iela 9/11, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050.
- St. Peter's Hotel - Peldu iela 23, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia.
- Hotel Forums - Valņu iela 45, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia.
- Rija Domus Hotel - Tirgoņu iela 9, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia.
- Hotel Garden Palace - Grēcinieku iela 28, Rīga, LV-1079, Latvia.
- Sherlock Art Hotel - Maza Monētu iela 3, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia.
Wednesday – 15th May
14:00 – 14:30: Introduction of seminar
14:30 – 16:00: Damien Faivre “Magnetotactic bacteria” (CEA, France)
16:00 – 16:30: Coffee break & Poster Session
16:30 – 17:30: Fanlong Meng “Collective motion of magnetic swimmers in a microfluidic channel” (MPI DS Göttingen)
17:30 – 18:00: Thomas M.Fischer "Magnetic guidance of the magnetotactic bacterium Magnetospirillum gryphiswaldiense" (Bayreuth University, Germany)
18:00 – 18:30 : Guntars Kitenbergs “Magnetic soft materials towards biomedical applications” (University of Latvia)
Thursday – 16th May
09:00 – 10:30: Florence Gazeau “Magnetism in biomedicine” (D.Diderot University, France)
10:30 – 11:00: Coffee break & Poster Session
11:00 – 12:30: Konstantin Kornev “Magnetic rotational spectroscopy for analysis of insect blood” (Clemson University, USA)
12:30 – 14:00: Lunch break
14:00 – 15:00: Paul Janmey “Magnetic elastomers for biology” (UPenn, USA)
15:00 – 15:30: Alison Patteson “Emergent and directed form of collective motion” (Syracuse University, USA)
15:30 – 16:00: Coffee break & Poster Session
16:00 – 17:00: Andrej Vilfan "Magnetic crawlers and rollers" (MPI DS Göttingen)
17:00 – 18:00: Andrejs Cebers “Synchronization of magnetotactic bacteria” (University of Latvia)
18:00 – 18:15: Katarzyna Pogoda “The role of substrate stiffness in nanoparticles uptake” (Institute of Nuclear Physics, Poland)
18:15 – 18:30: Laurence Noirez “From (dia)magnetism of liquid crystals to hidden flow properties of liquids" (CNRS-LLB,France)
20:00 : Workshop dinner
Friday - 17th May
Project midterm check with the EU officer
08:00 – 08:05: Introduction, Short intro on the purpose of the meeting, Fabrizio Martone (REA Project Officer)
08:05 – 08:30: Tour de table, Short presentation of research team and role in the network, All scientists-in-charge
08:30 – 09:30: REA Project Officer presentation, Monitoring of project implementation, reporting and purpose of the mid-term check, Fabrizio Martone
09:30 – 10:00: Coordinator’s report, Presentation of the network and current progress, Bernard Doudin
10:00 – 10:30: Coffee Break
10:30 – 12:00: ESRs presentations, 5 min presentation + 1 min questions for each ESR, All ESRs
12:00 – 13:00: Lunch Break
13:00 – 14:30: Restricted session with the ESRs, Administration, Supervision, Training, Fabrizio Martone and ESRs
13:00 – 14:30: Supervisory and Advisory Boards Meeting, Supervisory board and partner organisations representatives ( Parallel session )
- 13:00 – 13:05 : Introduction, Short intro on the purpose of the meeting, Bernard Doudin
- 13:05 – 13:30 : Status report, Shared budget, Reminders, Secondments, Bernard Doudin
- 13:30 – 14:00 : Scientific discussion, Quick round table and discussion with the advisory board members, Bernard Doudin & Scientistsin-charge
- 14:00 – 14:30 : Any other business, Winter school, mid-term PhD evaluations, News, Bernard Doudin
14:30 – 14:45: Restricted session with the coordinators, Project issues, Fabrizio Martone and Bernard Doudin/Laurence Noirez
14:45 – 15:15: Feedback and open discussion, Fabrizio Martone
15:15 – 15:45: Closing of workshop